Follow These Simple Tips and Help us Improve Traffic Safety in Chester County!
- Be a responsible driver! Wear your seat belt at all times (even when only driving a short distance) and ensure that everyone in the vehicle is wearing a seat belt and that all children are properly restrained and in an age appropriate car seat (See the link below to determine which seat is best for your child).
- Know the current speed limit. Assess current driving conditions and adjust your speed to those conditions when necessary. Under certain conditions, the posted speed may be too fast.
- Drive in the appropriate lane and allow enough distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you. Don’t worry about the behavior of other drivers; concentrate on driving safely.
- If you are drinking, DO NOT DRIVE! Use a designated driver or call a taxi cab.
- Make adjustments to controls (i.e. radio, air conditioning, mirrors, etc.) before beginning to drive or after the car is no longer in motion.
- If you must use a cell phone, use a hands free model with memory dialing and do not text or play games on the phone while driving.
- If you start to show sings of fatigue, get off of the road. Avoid driving between 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Have a properly inflated spare tire, a cell phone, a first-aid kit, a flashlight, an auto service card, fire extinguisher, water and blanket.
Did you know that in the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has found that about 80 percent of all child restraint devices used are placed in the vehicle improperly. In recent child safety clinics in South Carolina, safety seat technicians found about 98 percent of the seats they checked were improperly installed in some way.
Even if you follow the instructions closely, it is sometimes difficult to get your child safety seat installed just right to protect your child in a crash. To help parents and caregivers, South Carolina has child safety seat fitting stations in areas around the state. These stations provide assistance to parents by certified safety seat technicians when their schedule permits, either through appointments and/or special days of the month, etc. This is a service to assist parents in protecting their children. No citations will be issued at these checks.